Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Spring Cleaning Motivation

There is nothing quite like having your in-laws coming to stay in your house to get you motivated to clean. The only thing I can think of that is more motivating than that is having your in-laws coming to stay in your house when you're not there. That's right. This weekend will be Andy's and my fifth wedding anniversary, and Andy's parents will be staying overnight with Elise so Andy and I can get away for the weekend. Well, for Friday night and Saturday. This will be our first overnight without Elise. Before she was born, we got away usually two or three times a year, typically a couple of long weekends and one bigger vacation. And we have done a bit of vacationing with Elise, but all in her first nine months. The last overnight trip we took (aside from visiting family a few hours away) was last May. Hmm. And we never meant to go 20 months without some time away with just the two of us. It just kind of happened that way. (It's amazing what happens when you're not intentional about making things happen.)

Now, some of you are probably thinking, "You've never spent a night away from your child?!", and others of you are probably thinking, "A night away from your child? That doesn't happen until the kid leaves for college." I can respect both viewpoints, but my own is that I don't feel badly about not having left Elise overnight as of yet, and neither do I feel badly that I'm about to.

Anyway, back to the cleaning. My mother-in-law is a sweet, kind woman with a spotless house, and she would never in a million years say anything about my inferior housekeeping skills. But I know they are inferior. And normally I'm okay with that. But did I mention that she will be staying overnight in my house when I'm not here? See, when they come to visit for the afternoon, and she asks if she can grab some Tylenol from the medicine cabinet, I can say, "Oh, I'll get it for you". That can be translated into, "Oh, you can't go into that bathroom, it's gross." But I won't be here to get the Tylenol for her. She'll have to go into the bathroom. It has to be clean.

It's great motivation.

Yesterday, I cleaned our bedroom. Spotlessly. Today it's the laundry (more of a necessity if I want my family to be clothed, which I do) and the bathrooms. My shower has never been so clean.

6 comments:

Beth said...

I know exactly what you mean.

Have fun!

Beth said...

Oh, and (duh) have a happy anniversary!

Bob said...

Yes, indeed. Mazal tov.

Amanda Jean said...

hope that you have a great time! it is hard to have your in-laws in your house when you are not there, but...it will be a great chance to have some time away...enjoy it! happy 5th anniversary.

Linda said...

Hope you have/had a great time! I totally know what you mean, I vaccuumed up more cat hair today than I care to think about...

Anonymous said...

In this house we used to clean only just before my parents come. Last time was just too much work (as they hadn't come in a while) and I took the bull by the horns and started to employ a cleaning lady. I wish I had started earlier, it's a lifesaver! About children, the first time I slept away from my daughter was for a business trip when she was 3 months old. After that she often went to stay with my parents, she adores them. After a couple of days I start missing her but I enjoy the quiet!