Sunday, September 02, 2007

Cottage Quilt

Well, it's finally done. My simple, easy, spur-of-the-moment little quilt is done. And it only took (insert sarcasm here) two and a half months.


After a failed attempt at free motion quilting, I decided to just tie it. I don't believe I had ever tied a quilt before. It was nice. And fast. Once that was done, I got to do the fun part. The binding. I like sewing the binding. I like making binding strips, I like machine stitching it to the front of the quilt, and I really like hand stitching it to the back of the quilt. Very pleasant work.


The only thing I had to buy for this quilt was the thread. I like that. I did not officially join the Use What You Have challenge, but I appreciate the idea behind it. Most of the fabrics used in this quilt came from fat quarters that I've had for years or from the ready-made stash that my mother-in-law gave me last spring. The batting was left over from a larger project, and the ties were made from floss in my embroidery basket.


I think I'll keep this one. It is receiving blanket size and would make a good baby gift, but all of my friends who are currently pregnant have opted to not find out the gender of their baby until he or she is born. Figures. This is most certainly not a gender-neutral quilt. That's okay, I'm happy to keep it. Right now it lives on the back of the rocking chair in Elise's room, and I think that's probably where it will stay for a while.

2 comments:

retha said...

Holly, that is lovely!
Your handiwork is done well. To me it look neatly done. You have put the colours together in a eye pleasing way.
Well done!

(This American spelling! All right,COLORS then.)

Amanda Jean said...

beautiful quilt, Holly. I love using what I have, too. I didn't join in on the challenge officially, but thanks to my husband's insistence, I have been doing my best to use it up.