Saturday, June 02, 2007

Childproof vs. Proof of Children

This past week, we visited a couple of different friends in their respective homes. I was struck by the contrast between the two homes.

While making arrangements for the first visit, our hostess said, "Our house is child-proofed, so there's nothing within reach that Elise can break." Hm. Well, that was good to know.

At the second home, Elise walked in and immediately began running for a back bedroom, where she knew there were some good toys hiding. (She has visited this home many times.) Our friend immediately reassured us, "There's nothing back there that can hurt her."

See the difference? Now I'm not qualified to say whether these comments reflect our friends' subconscious attitudes towards children, but the contrast was stark enough to pique my curiosity. One home was childproof. The other home was child-friendly.

It was just one of those things that made me go, "Hmm...."

2 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

See, I want my home to feel like that last home. I want it to be about keeping children safe and happy, not keeping my stuff safe.

Susie said...

Hi Holly,
Thanks for visiting me! I also feel that children should be able to touch things that are safe for them. My precious things are put up out of harms way until little fingers grow up...
:)