Thursday, March 23, 2006

From the mouths of babes.

I have a precious group of 4th/5th grade girls in a small group at my church. I love them all. They sometimes come up with some rather interesting theological ponderings, and have provided me with a lot of opportunities to practice keeping a straight face.

Last night we all brought snacks to share with one another. One girl, T, brought cupcakes that she had made herself. They tasted like cardboard with sweetened Elmer's glue on top, but I wasn't about to not eat a treat that she had taken the time and effort to make by herself. T was quite serious when she told me why she had decided to use red frosting on her cupcakes. She said, "I decided to make them red because, you know, Jesus died on the cross, blood, I thought it was kind of churchy."

There are a lot of symbols in the Christian religion, and quite a few of them are directly related to Jesus' death and resurrection. T established a new one. I ate a really bad cupcake that apparently symbolized Jesus' blood. At least I can say that T sees the whole world from a Christian perspective. If, as Chris once told me, my eyes can't keep a straight face, I hope that my girls haven't picked up on it.

No comments: