Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Domestic Therapy

I'm all for formal counseling when the occasion calls for it, but I think there are times when less expensive forms of therapy can be substituted. Like cleaning the shower.

During our oldest daughter's quiet time and our youngest daughter's cat nap yesterday afternoon, I cleaned the shower. It was awesome. It was one of those times when experts would have advised me to "sleep while the baby's sleeping", and indeed that is the advice I would likely have given to another mother. My need for sleep is very real right now*, but yesterday afternoon I had a greater need. The need to clean. It wasn't even so much a need to have a clean shower (although there was that). It was a need to clean the shower. Asking my husband or mother-in-law or a friend to do it, which I know I could have done, wouldn't have fulfilled the real need. I should mention that I generally loathe cleaning the shower. It's just about my least favorite chore. Yesterday, though, it was just what the doctor ordered.

Tomorrow I hope the doctor orders Starbucks.

*Not as great as my husband's need for sleep, which is going largely unmet as he insists that I sleep during the baby's most wide awake hours, 12:00-2:00 am. I might be spoiled.

1 comment:

Felicia said...

There is definitely something satisfying about having a clean house that go that way with your own two hands :)