Sunday, March 01, 2009

Ordinary Celebrations

What a great weekend. My husband and I weren't able to go out for Valentine's Day or my birthday a couple of weeks ago, so we postponed and went out this past weekend instead. Now that I think about it, our Saturday was very similar to our typical Saturdays during the first three years of our marriage - that would be before children. We wandered around an antique store for a while before going to lunch. We ran a few errands. (Yeah, I know. Not romantic. Just a heck of a lot easier without children.) We browsed a bookstore and had dessert and coffee. Then we went home to find our oldest daughter coloring pictures with Grandpa and our youngest daughter sleeping in Grandma's arms. Perfect. It made me realize, as dates always do, that we really need to make more of an effort to get out, just the two of us, more often.

Later in the afternoon, a dear friend who recently moved out of state and was in town for the weekend stopped by to meet the baby. She is expecting her own baby in a few months. I am pretty excited about that. She'll be a great mother.

Today was another great day. After church this morning, we went to "Uncle Chris' store" (as it is known 'round these parts) and fed the ducks at the pond. When we got home - well, we quit our parenting class. We've been attending a parenting class on Sunday nights, which has been really good, except for the timing. It makes our Sundays long and stressful, and the girls are awake way too late. We finally decided it wasn't worth it. I've got to say, it was really a relief to resign from the class. We turned our free evening into Family Night. Andy made pizza, which we ate in the living room (we don't eat dinner in the living room at our house) while watching Sleeping Beauty. Andy and our oldest daughter built some pretty amazing block sculptures. We finally counted and sorted the contents of our daughter's piggy bank (or, as she calls it, her pickle bank, which is indeed a pickle jar) into Giving, Savings, and Spending. The contents included pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, toy money, stickers, and buttons. Andy took her to the store where she bought her very own bag of Chips Ahoy with her very own money - 16 quarters and 4 dimes. I'm sure the cashier appreciated that.

I know this weekend was really nothing to write home about (although apparently it is something to blog about), but it was really great. My house is not clean (although my MIL managed to do all our laundry and clean our windowsills and blinds while she was babysitting) and I did not cross much off the to-do list. Come to think of it, I didn't even write a to-do list. But my husband and I spent time together. We spent time with our kids. We spent time with a friend. I'll put off the to-do list for a weekend like that any time.

No comments: