Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pi(e)

photo by pauladamsmith

One day last year, my husband came home from work and happily told me about all the pies that had been consumed by his colleagues and himself that day. Said something about it being "pie day". I thought it was a good idea, a nice diversion from office life, and good for them for their creative morale-boosting efforts.

One day last year, a friend of mine invited me to a National Pie Day celebration at her home. I wasn't able to attend, but I thought it was a great idea. I mean, who doesn't like pie?

Last week my husband lamented aloud the fact that he wouldn't be able to visit his old colleagues (having since left that job) during their pie fest, because the day falls on a Saturday this year. Bummer.

Today I saw a note my husband had written, indicating that he was trying to decide what kind of pi to make on Saturday. I asked if he meant to spell it that way. He said yes.

My friend is a pastry chef. (And may I encourage you, if you have not done so already, to find yourself a friend who is a pastry chef. They're just good people to know. Like mechanics, only their work areas smell a lot better.) She celebrates National Pie Day.

My husband is an engineer. He celebrates Pi Day, which is of course on March 14.

It all makes sense now. Either way, there's pi(e).

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wanna come over on Saturday? :-)

Beth said...

So I'm curious... what kind of pi(e) did you end up having? We had apple and lemon chess.