Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Potpourri

I'm very excited about this. Have I already posted a photo like this? I may have. I bought this fabric four months ago...on the very same day that morning sickness set in. I didn't even wash and iron it until a few weeks ago. Now I'm ready for it. This will be the beginning of my daughter's "big girl" quilt. I am sorry to say that I never made her a baby quilt. My mother-in-law did, though, and it is beautiful and cherished. My girl received ten other handmade blankets (quilted, knitted, crocheted, and fleece) within her first six months of life, and has received a few more since then, so she certainly is not lacking in that department. But those blankets are all receiving or crib sized, and now she sleeps in a twin bed, so it's time for a new blanket.

The Weed Patch has joined Bella Dia's Thoughtful Friday posts. Check out The Weed Patch's blog to see what is inspiring them this week.

I finished Jack and Jill last night. In its storybook way, it is all about beauty, goodness, duty, health, and sincerity (like all of Alcott's children's books). Very refreshing. Now I have to decide what to read next. It is best for me to only have one book waiting at a time. Any more than that and I have a terrible time deciding which to start.

My unborn child appears to have acrobatic aspirations. I felt only the lightest flutterings for a long time, and then suddenly she decided to make her presence known. Now there is a steady barrage of kung fu going on.

My two year old child was more than happy to take a nap today when I read Daddy's email to her saying that he would bring home a special surprise for her if she took a good nap. I have it on good authority (from Daddy himself) that the surprise will be new whiteboard markers. Daddy is, as our daughter herself said, "gene-uh-us". (genius)

My girl has recently learned to write her name. I really wish I could show you all, but I do try to not post her name all over the Internet for all the world to see. You'll just have to trust me on this one. Her signature is really, really cute. She first wrote it on Mother's Day. We were at a restaurant waiting for our dinner, and she was drawing. She said, "I will write my name now". We said OK, not thinking anything of it. Then she wrote her name. I was astonished. Granted, if you didn't already know her name, you probably wouldn't have been able to decipher it from that first autograph. (That probably means I would be safe in posting it. But I won't.) Now, however, a month later, it is quite legible. I won't be asking her to sign for packages any time soon, but still...

That's all for now. Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there!

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Those fabrics are beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do with them. Thanks for visiting my blog -- and Congratulations on your new baby in production. How exciting!!!