Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Bits and Pieces

Whew! Here I am, sitting down with my coffee and my blog, catching my breath. Our life has been crazy busy lately. Here are a few glimpses:

Last Saturday was our church's annual Fall Fest. Andy was the official photographer, standing behind the camera for 3 1/2 hours while hundreds of people filed through to have their Old West themed family photos taken. During a lull, Elise explored the staging and Andy snapped this photo.


The Wednesday night kids' program that I work with started up again last Wednesday night. I'm so excited about it. We have a great team of people serving as leaders, and a great group of kids as well. We worked really hard over the summer to put this year's program together, so it's nice to see it off to such a good start.

This is a scrap tablerunner that I'm working on. Come to find out, working with scraps of varying sizes, without precise measuring, is a lot more time consuming than I thought. But I'm enjoying it, and I love the blue and white fabrics.


Several months ago I won a yard of fabric from Sew Mama Sew!, and I kept forgetting to mention it here. I chose Amy Butler's Pink Tree Peony from the Lotus collection. I intended to make a bag of some sort from it, but haven't done so yet.


We will be participating in a community garage sale this coming weekend. It will be so nice to get rid of stuff! Andy has been pricing away. Our house is a disaster - not so much because of garage sale preparations as just the crazy pace we've been keeping lately. It will be cleaned, though. It must be. We will be hosting a baby shower here next week. Having company is great motivation for cleaning, isn't it?

Since we've been busy and have this shower coming up, I naturally decided that now would be a good time to revamp our filing system. Does anyone else ever do that? Find yourself in the middle of busy times and yet somehow convince yourself that now is a good time to start a back burner, detailed project? I seem to do that a lot. This time I was motivated by an appointment we had earlier in the week. We had to locate a lot of old paperwork for the appointment, and that was a daunting task. It just reminded me that our files were a mess. Yesterday I emptied the filing cabinet and Andy and I went through it paper by paper. Today we have a huge pile to recycle, an even bigger pile to shred, and a box of up-to-date files. It's fantastic! I'm not done quite yet - the files aren't labeled well - but it feels so great to have this task nearly completed.

Read any good books lately? I have. I just finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It is a really good book. There were a few parts that I found a bit dry and difficult to get through, and I found one minor inconsistency - an inconsequential character whose name changes halfway through the story - but those things were easy to overlook. This is a stirring book. It is also a very sad book. Don't read it if you are looking for an uplifting story. It is the story of a boy growing up in Afghanistan in the 1970s, and then it follows his life up to present day. If you are familiar with Afghanistan's history over the last thirty years, you can imagine that there are not many happy stories to tell. This story if fictional, but the context is very real. I did find that, once a plot line was revealed, the outcome of that plot was quite predictable. I did not feel that this took away from the story at all. I didn't want any big surprises from this book. The story is so tragic that I needed it to be predictable; I needed to be somewhat prepared for what was to come. I will also say that parts of this book are extremely graphic and disturbing. Be warned.

Speaking of The Kite Runner, I had an unusual experience while reading it. I was reading it last week while waiting for a doctor's appointment. When my OB entered the room, she saw the book and mentioned that she was reading it as well. This led to a lengthy discussion of the book (she was just a few pages behind me, but they were crucial pages to the story), why neither of us wanted to see the movie that is based on the book, why we both had a hard time watching The Passion of the Christ, our individual beliefs about who Christ is (we agree, come to find out), religion in general, and parenting. (My apologies to the other patients who were waiting for the doctor.) It was just an odd conversation to have with an OB. Usually conversations with such a doctor are quite limited. My doctor is also an avid quilter. This fact, combined with our recent conversation, leads me to believe that we could be friends were it not for our professional doctor-patient relationship.

So there you have it - a few recent snapshots of our household.

No comments: