Friday, October 12, 2007

Friends, Food, Fall

Friday already? Beautiful.

The garage sale went well. I was only there for a short time. Elise + tables and tables of other people's things - outside, no less - is not a great combination. She and I popped in to say hello, but Andy is the one who set up at 7:00AM and tore down at 5:30PM. What a guy. Most of our things sold, and what is leftover is destined for donation.

The baby shower last night also went well. We squeezed 26 people into our living room and had a grand time. Dinner was wonderful. Can you beat a potluck? I don't think so. We served a pasta bar. Andy made four different sauces and two different breads; other people brought various noodles and salads, a trifle, a mint chocolate chip cheesecake, carrot cake, and pink lemonade. Oh my. Delicious. Elise went a little nuts towards the end. It was well past her bedtime, she was excited about all the guests being here, and she had carrot cake. She was fast asleep within minutes of the last guest leaving, but not before several moments of hyper defiance of our household rules. Nice. Hope she didn't scare the soon-to-be-parents too much.

Several of the friends who were here last night had never been to our house before. I am really glad that they came. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but having a friend come to my home seems to somehow cement the friendship. If they have not been to my home, and if I have not been to theirs, then we have not been introduced to the biggest, probably most important, and most personal part of each others' lives.

I was pleased that everyone here last night was able to compliment Andy on his cooking without insulting me. That sounds very insecure and petty, doesn't it? This is what I mean: When people find out that Andy does most of the cooking in our home, they usually turn to me and say, "Oh, you don't cook?" Sometimes even, "Oh, you don't know how to cook?" Come on, people. If I were the primary cook, would they look surprised and ask Andy if he knew how to cook? No. I do not cook as well as Andy, nor do I cook as frequently as he does. That doesn't mean that I don't know how to cook. Anyway, everyone complimented Andy, and a few people mentioned to me that it was really nice that I have a husband who cooks. I couldn't agree with them more.

Life has thrown us a few curveballs recently. (Is there a cliche for that? If life gives you lemons, make lemonade; if life gives you scraps, make a quilt. What are you supposed to do if life throws you a curveball? Hit it hard? Adjust your swing?) They are making me appreciate daily life all the more. It's comforting to have things to do. I know I say it a lot, but order and routine are just so comforting to me. I can't do anything about the things that are worrying me, but I can do dishes and run errands and pay bills and write schedules and send letters and share dinner with friends. None of those things have anything to do with the problems that are worrying me, but somehow they help.

Today is the most beautiful October day in Seattle. It it sunny and crisp, the leaves are at their peak of color, and there is just the slightest breeze. The tree directly opposite our front window is a brilliant orange. It's just lovely. Perfect crocheting weather.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Either adjust your swing and crush it (as you wisely note) or, if it is curving a different direction: Duck!