Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Summer Reading

Elise and I visited the library last week. I didn't make it out of the children's section, and I brought these books home for my own reading. (Elise brought home her own.)

I'm reading Ballet Shoes because of the reference that Meg Ryan makes to it in You've Got Mail, one of my favorite movies. So far it's a cute story. The Brownie And The Princess is a charming book of short stories by Louisa May Alcott. I love LMA's children's books, and somehow this one had previously escaped me. These are lovely fables. Most of LMA's children's stories are firmly grounded in morality. She herself was a Transcendentalist, so I do not agree with the philosophies and theology behind her morals, but I still think the morals themselves are strong and wise. Lastly, I picked up Abbie In Stitches. It is a warm, funny story of an early 19th century girl who dislikes her stitch sampler lessons. She rebels by stitching a bold message into her first sampler.


These are the other books in progress. I have been reading An American Life for a long time. Well over a month. It's still interesting, just...slow. I read Reaching for the Invisible God in college and really enjoyed it. Philip Yancey is one of my favorite authors. I'm looking forward to reading this one again. And the one on top, Church: Why Bother? is a Yancey book that I have not read. Should be interesting.

No comments: