Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Two days in a row!

Retha posted this meme and invited me to play along. Feel free to join in the fun!

ACCENT: American, I suppose. When I go back to southern Illinois, I pick up a bit of that accent pretty quickly.

I DO NOT DRINK: black coffee or beer

CHORE I HATE: cleaning the blinds. I'm not a big fan of cleaning the shower, either.

PETS: As an adult, I haven't had any pets (except a few fish for a while. They don't like it when you pet them.) As a child I always had dogs and cats, and we threw a pig, some geese, injured birds, a guinea pig, and a stray turtle or two into the mix from time to time.

ESSENTIAL ELECTRONICS: I really would miss the computer. We use it not only for emailing, but also for shopping, banking, finding addresses and telephone numbers, and paying bills. Andy and I both use it for work as well.

PERFUME: I very rarely wear perfume. It's not that I don't like it; I just don't think about wearing it.

GOLD or SILVER: I don't have a general preference.

INSOMNIA: Is terrible. I go through periods of insomnia usually two or three times a year. I hate it.

JOB TITLE: SAHM

MOST ADMIRED TRAIT: I do not know. I suppose only those who admire it would be able to answer this.

KIDS: One daughter, Elise, two years old. Hopefully more in the future.

RELIGION: Christianity.

SIBLINGS: Five sisters, four brothers. Six of them are married, and Andy has a married sister, so I suppose I have eight siblings-in-law.

TIME I WAKE UP: whenever Elise wakes up, anytime between 7:00 and 8:30.

UNUSUAL TALENT/SKILL: I can tell from another room when the TV has been left on even when the volume is muted. We can walk in from the garage, which is on a different story in our house than the TV, and I will say, "Oh, the TV's on", and Andy will look at me as though I'm crazy. Then we'll go upstairs and, sure enough, the TV will be on, but muted (usually in DVD mode, so it's on but there is no picture or sound). I guess I just hear the electronic hum...which is weird, because my hearing is slightly compromised and I frequently have trouble hearing mid-level sounds, much less something as subtle and soft as a muted TV.

VEGETABLE: I really like vegetables. Green beans are probably my favorite, unless you count corn as a vegetable.

WORST HABIT: Blogging. Kidding, kidding. Uh...procrastinating returning phone calls. My family and long distant friends complain about this all the time.

X-RAYS: Hmm...I had xrays taken when I broke my wrist. I think I was five. Other than that...I can't think of any. I've had some other imaging done, but not xrays.

MY FAVORITE MEAL: Fried chicken, corn on the cob, biscuits (butter, no gravy), green beans, tomato slices sprinkled w/salt, and iced tea. This meal is best when the corn, beans, and tomatoes are fresh from the garden.

3 comments:

retha said...

I suppose the 'perfume'might have a bit to do with the additional responsibility in your life?
The TV on must be a special talent!
Thank you for letting me know.

This biscuits you Americans talk about I would like to know what it is. Read in Louis L'Amour about biscuits.
Biscuits in my reference is cookies. I do not understand how gravy and biscuits go together.
I assume it is more like something I would call a scone?

Holly said...

Hi, Retha - Yes, American biscuits are similar to scones. In the southern United States, biscuits and gravy are a common breakfast food. The gravy is usually a thick, creamy gravy with bits of beef or sausage in it; not the thin, broth-like gravy that we might pour over turkey or roast beef.

Here is my mother's biscuit recipe:
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add shortening. With a pastry cutter (or 2 knives), cut shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add the milk, mix. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead approx. 30 seconds. (Try not to handle the dough too much.) Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. With floured cookie cutter, cut out biscuits and place on baking sheet. Bake in 350-degree F oven until golden brown.

I know that we probably use different units of measurement than you do. If any of this does not make sense to you, let me know. These biscuits are really good with a little butter and honey on them. If you prefer to not use shortening, you can do an Internet search for biscuits (you might try searching for "buttermilk biscuits") and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of recipes that call for butter instead of shortening. - Holly

retha said...

Thank you for the recipe.
Although I do not know recipes of by hard it does look like our scones. I also have a recipe for buttermilk scones.
This might be a bit different for us as a breakfast. We might have cereal, a sandwich or if we make a big breakfast it will be bacon and egg type of food.